3.19.2013

lean on God in all times

this weekend i lost my cousin to a car accident. he was alone & forutnately no others were hurt. officers reported that he was in the other lane & over-corrected. the driver side hit a brick mailbox & it was said that he died on impact.

peter was only 17. a senior in high school -- graduating this may. he had plans to study psychology at the university of north georgia, where his older brother is currently attending. they planned to get an apartment together & experience college together. they were the greatest of best friends. peter also has four sisters. each very close to him.

i got the phone call saturday morning at work. i just remember the urgency in my mom's voice. you could hear she had been crying & by the way she was whispering, meant she didn't want my younger sisters to know yet. i wept & kept asking "what?" like what she was saying was a cruel joke. M & i immediately headed over to be with my aunt, uncle, & cousins. they live only 10 short minutes from us & as we are about to turn into their neighborhood, we saw the tires marks & the empty spot where a brick mailbox use to stand. he was that close to home.

death is something i hope to never be comfortable or familiar with. but that means it will always hurt & never seem fair. i remember when my grandmother & maw maw pasted away. they were much older & each sick. they had already prepared for death. so when the time came, everyone was ready. it was still hard but we were able to prepare & know they each lived a full life. but peter's death is nothing like that. i think about how young he was. how he hadn't even touched the surface of this world. how his parents & siblings will forever feel incomplete. how this feels like it is a dream & we will see him again for the holidays. it is all so shocking & unreal that i don't want to accept it. it really hurts that M & i are the closest to them, yet we never made an effort to visit them since we got married. it makes you realize what you have & what's important.

but you wouldn't believe the amount of support & love they are receiving from family & friends. peter was such a well liked young man. he always had a smile on his face & could turn any situation into a good one. he was a fabulous man of God that had an impact of many people's lives. i know he's smiling right now, looking forward to the day he will be reunited with the ones he loves.

we love you peter.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Laurie! I am so so sorry. I'm in tears and my heart breaks for you and your family. It sounds like you have a wonderful loving family. A strong support unit like that is the best medicine in these times I think. Hang in there and remember that it is ok to miss him and cry but it is also ok to remember all of the happy times and smile too.

    Sending all my love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so, so sorry to hear about your cousin. It's never easy to lose a loved one, especially someone so young. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you mourn this loss, I hope you all find comfort in remembering him. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure this is of much comfort, but I just had to say that reading this post put me at a loss for words. But I also wanted to tell you that I'm praying for you and your family. Praying for comfort, praying for love, and praying for your cousin, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No perfect set of words could ever give you the comfort I feel God's love can give. I am truly sorry for your family's loss. He sounds like an amazing person. Family really is important, and may we all try to remember to express our love to them. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

    xoxo,
    Shio

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your cousin. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry for your loss! praying for peace that surpasses all understanding! what a joy that he is standing with Jesus as we speak but such a loss for those left behind.

    i am praying sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry your family experienced this terrible loss. I hope as time passes you will heal.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...